Tuesday 14 October 2014

Those days

When shoes were for Sunday school,
And never requirements at school,
The days when classes were doorless,
Time when the libraries were book less,
Those are the days I learned the hard way.

Those days we used Korobois,
Those days only teacher's book existed
Those days we were beaten like donkeys
And the teachers had a name in the society.

We used to carry water
We used to carry a branch of Sodom apples
We used to carry manure
We used to carry jembes
All at the same time
And lateness was a drama
Missing any item was a death warrant
Those days when learn had the real meaning.

When I saw pupils under trees
When I heard the chief and his APs
Had assisted learning process
When I thought that electricity had been installed
And the teachers hired
Classes constructed under CDF
It was my dawn that change is relative.

Who is the ambassador for the marginalized?
Is the education system in their parts sufficient?
Did I mention the empty bellies?
Hope is all that I have...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally lay my hands on a PC, and I can now offer my readership:) I'm not poetry fan; I can give you that. But what I liked about this piece is its simplicity and clarity.

NOMYSWORDS said...

Thanks Abbey. I love your honesty.