Tuesday 1 December 2015

REBELLIOUS AUNTIE

Tracing The Roots: A Madness Anthology

#003

REBELLIOUS AUNTIE

Wanjira,
She who lives on the hill,
The daughter of grandpa,
Single at forty, a maiden with broad mind...


She saw no school door,
Yet philosophic than professors,
Glued to the radio,
She's aware of current affairs,
Analytical on political trends,
Shrewd, her house is flocked for guidance.


My cousin-less auntie,
A darling of the society,
Aggressive on her duties,
Farming,grazing and cooking,
Who hates her ndumas na ikwa?
Is her curu wa mukio not the best?
Wait, is she not chief chef in all traditional parties where real cuisine is needed?


Tonight I'm her guest,
Her firstborn she terms me,
Always ready for my curious brain,
Anxiety,she's certain I miss her counsel...
She brushes off the olden practises,
She laughs at grandpa's bitterness,
How she sieves modernity and archaic teachings,
How she marries the two,expertly...


My term paper and curiosity overfed,
I enjoy the embers and smoke,
Golden sparks dart from the three stone stove,
How she empowers my deviance with sense,
"What's the harm sharing my kariko?"


Wanjira my dear aunt,
If only she had kids,
Luckily,she massages my knowledge thirst,
For she is a mother of reality...

No comments: